|Constructed:||1943-1944**Materials and labor in short supply due to war.|
|Opening Date:||October 10, 1944; believed to be oldest operating theater in southern Nevada until its closure|
|Closing Date:||July 31, 2004|
|Architect:||S. Charles Lee|
|Builder:||Pioneer Construction Co.|
|Interior Designer:||A.B. Heinsbergen, Beverly Hills, CA|
|Listed On:||1) National Register of Historic Places of United States Department of the Interior, National Parks Service2) Nevada Register of Historic Places|
|Address:||1208 E. Charleston Blvd., Charleston Blvd. and Maryland Parkway cross-streets|
|Legal parcel No.:||162-0211-0018; 162-0211-0015; 162-0211-0017; 162-0211-0016|
|Site Size:||Approx. 2 acres|
|Building Size:||10,232 net square feet|
|Tower Height:||75 feet|
|Auditorium seating capacity:||Approx. 1,000 seats; had 800 fixed|
|Historic Function:||Recreation and Culture/Theater; Served as movie house for initial five decades, turned into performing arts center in 1992|
|Architectural Classification:||Modern movement/ modern and international style*
*As the depression decade of the 1930s progressed, Americans saw a new aspect of the Art Deco style emerge in the marketplace: Streamlining. The Streamlining concept was first created by industrial designers who stripped Art Deco design of its ornament in favor of the aerodynamic pure-line concept of motion and speed developed from scientific thinking. Cylindrical forms and long horizontal windowing also may be influenced by constructivism.
|Materials:||Foundation – concrete, Walls – concrete and brick, Roof – asphalt|
|Statement of Significance:||Property is associated with events that have made a significant contribution to the broad patterns of our history; property embodies the distinctive characteristics of a type, period or method of construction or represents the work of a master, or possesses high artistic values, or represents a distinguishable entity whose components lack individual distinction.|
|Historic Operating Timeline Facts:||Original builder and proprietor was Commonwealth Las Vegas Theater, Inc.; officers at time of opening: President, C.A. Shultz, Vice-President and General Manager, O.K. Mason, and A.J. Simmons, who managed building from construction phase to opening
In 1951, the Huntridge Development Co. assumed operations and included partial owners Loretta Young and Irene Dunne, Hollywood actresses
1951-1978, Lloyd and Edith Katz leased and operated the theater.
1978-79: Frank Salvaggio, a Las Vegas contractor, purchased the theater; he turned single theater into two smaller screened theaters; declined in popularity with rise of multi-theater complexes in 1980s
1990: Theater closed
1992: Purchased by nonprofit Friends of Huntridge; restored as single theater building by Richard and Tamara Lenz in January 1992
July 28, 1995: Roof collapse occurs.
2002: Sold to Mizrachi family; operated as music venue until July 2004; closed ever since.
July 2012: The Huntridge Foundation, the nonprofit dedicated to documenting the theatre’s history and preserving it, incorporated with the state of Nevada.
March 2013: Huntridge Revival, LLC files with state of Nevada and enters into real estate negotiations with the Mizrachi family owners to purchase theatre for $4 million.
June 2013: Indiegogo crowdsourcing campaign to raise funds as litmus test of public’s desire to revive the Huntridge by the Huntridge Revival, LLC.
2014 (present day): Huntridge Revival raising capital funds to purchase and renovate theatre.
May 2014: City of Las Vegas Centennial Commission grants $1 million to City of Las Vegas for escrow account to be set aside toward land purchase of theatre. (ongoing development)
July 2014: The Huntridge Foundation receives official tax exemption status from the IRS.